5S in the Workplace
Many manufacturing facilities have opted to implement the “5S” methodology to promote continuous improvement, organization, and lean manufacturing processes at the workplace.
The term refers to five pillars:
- Sort: Remove all items not needed for current production operations.
- Set in Order: Arrange needed items so that they are easy to use.
- Shine: Keep everything, every day, swept and clean.
- Standardize: Integrate Sort, Set in Order, and Shine into a unified whole.
- Sustain: Make a habit of properly maintaining correct procedures.
The 5S system improves business operations by creating and maintaining a clean and structured work environment. Implementing a 5S methodology has a variety of additional benefits:
- Reduces part retrieval times and errors
- Improves safety
- Lowers manufacturing costs
- Enables quicker, more efficient production
LISTA storage solutions including storage cabinets, workbenches, and Storage Wall® Systems, can help businesses implement the 5S system by maximizing available space, improving the overall organization of their facilities, and assisting with inventory management. Learn more about 5S and how to begin implementation in our white paper.