5S in the workplace
Many manufacturing facilities have opted to follow the path towards a “5S” workplace organizational and housekeeping methodology as part of continuous improvement or lean manufacturing processes.The term refers to five pillars:
- Sort: Remove all items not needed for current production operations
- Set in Order: Arrange needed items so that they are easy to use
- Shine: Keep everything, every day, swept and clean.
- Standardize: Integrate Sort, Set in Order, and Shine into a unified whole.
- Sustain: Make a habit of properly maintaining correct procedures.
The 5S system improves business operations by creating and maintaining a clean and structured work environment. Implementing a 5S methodology has a variety of benefits:
- Reducing part retrieval times and errors
- Improving safety
- Lowering manufacturing costs
- Enabling quicker, more efficient production
LISTA storage solutions can help businesses implement the 5S system by maximizing the available space and improving the overall organization of their facilities.